Sweet treats just hit different when they're aesthetically pleasing, right? Enter the queen of decadent desserts, Shelly Bella of @_bellabakes on Instagram. She took over our page to share her summer dessert recipe for Frozen Smoothie Yogurt Pops. It's the perfect DIY popsicle recipe for a hot summer day, and they're surprisingly easy to make (even for kitchen novices like, well, us). Keep reading to get to know Shelly and try this perfect summer recipe out for yourself!
Tell us a little bit about yourself! Where are you from and what do you do?
My name is Shelly Bella, I'm the owner of Bella Bakes, which offers luxurious custom desserts in the LA area. I also create video content for different brands and for my Instagram page as well. I’m originally from Israel but I have been living in LA since I was 4 years old.
Have you always had a passion for baking?
Surprisingly I have not always had a passion for baking! However, I have always had a strong love for desserts and a serious sweet tooth. My passion for baking begin back in 2016, I enrolled in culinary school out of boredom and took a nine month baking program. I was going into it just thinking it will be a fun new hobby not really looking to make a career out of it. Soon after I graduated, I started posting my cakes on my instagram and the inquiries started coming in and thats when I thought to myself “ok, let’s do this!”
What's your favorite thing you've ever created?
My all-time favorite recipe I ever created is my Almond Lemon Raspberry Cake! This cake is just the perfect combination of flavors not too sweet, moist, bright, and tangy. I’ve been making it for years and it’s still my number one choice!
What's the hardest recipe you've ever created?
The hardest recipe I ever created was my macaron recipe. If anyone knows a thing or two about macarons they would know they are temperamental little cookies. It took a lot of trial and error to nail down a recipe that I truly love.
What do you love most about baking?
The fact it’s such a creative craft. I’m so thankful that l I have this creative outlet that lets me express whatever it is I want through my desserts. Some days I love bright, bold colors and wild designs with sprinkles, and other days I’m more into soft pastels and feminine floral designs.
What's your "L" right now?
My “L” right now is just spending quality time with my family and my dog Whisky. A relaxing pool day at home with good food, good people, and a good drink is what makes me most happy these days.
FROZEN SMOOTHIE YOGURT POPS
What you'll need:
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup full fat sweetened yogurt
- 2 frozen bananas
- popsicle mold
- popsicle stick
- melting chocolate
- food coloring (optional)
- decorations (sprinkles, edible flowers, anything you want!)
1. Blend yogurt and fruit together until combined. Definitely go with full fat yogurt as that will give this an ice cream-like texture. Shelly chose strawberries and bananas, but you can play around and try any fruit combination you like!
2. Slowly pour smoothie into popsicle mold and insert popsicle sticks. Place popsicle mold on a tray for easy transport and freeze for at least 4-5 hours.
3. Microwave melting chocolate for 30 seconds, mix it, and microwave again for another 30 seconds. Add food coloring if desired and let cool for 5 minutes (you don't want to melt your popsicles).
4. Time to get creative! Once cooled, dip popsicle into melting chocolate. You can dip the whole thing in or try it at an angle. Drizzle different colors over the top and add sprinkles, edible flowers, edible glitter - anything you wish!
That's it! This is such a fun and summery recipe - try it out for yourself and be sure to tag us if you do!
Shelly is wearing the Sun Seeker striped knit sweater and short set - shop her look here!
You can follow @_bellabakes on Instagram here.